Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sweet Treats!

I decided to break out the cake decorating kit and tap into my creative side today for Jon's 19th birthday. It has been a while since I have made and decorated a real cake (I don't count the ones I throw together at the last minute). I am pretty satisfied by how the iPod cake came out. It makes me want to practice my decorating skills more (if only I would have paid attention to my mom making those thousands of cakes throughout my childhood.) This cake would have looked better had I have followed through with my original plan to cover it in marshmallow fondant (easy to make and tastes great!), but I got lazy and decided to just go with the buttercream.
Here is the final product (click to enlarge):

The icing and piping are all buttercream; the white screen and wheel are made of white chocolate that I poured into molds (i.e. tupperware lids), and the ear buds are made of Twizzlers and mini marshmallows)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really cool!!!
You did a great job!!!
Mom

Ashley Howard said...

What a great cake! Good job!

Lauren said...

That's so cute. :-)